||Helmut Erbe, who started working in the company in 1945, began to exert a decisive influence on its development many years before the death of his father. He assumed sole management in 1962. Helmut Erbe quickly realized that the success of the company lay in a well-developed distribution network. He began by establishing sales agencies in the most important German cities. At the same time, contacts were also increased to commercial enterprises in the Near, Middle and Far East as well as in Africa, North and Latin America. Step by step, subsidiaries were established abroad: the first foreign subsidiary was established 1968 in Vienna. Other offices followed in France, the U.S.A., the Netherlands, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland, Russia, and Great Britain. The construction of a new company headquarters also took place in the era of his leadership.
New and fundamental developments in the product sector set new standards internationally. Completely new techniques made their appearance in operating rooms and medical practices as a result of Erbe’s development of innovative equipment. The company’s market leadership was secured by extensive outlays in research and development – unusually large for a company of its size – and by close collaboration with clinics and universities around the world. In this way, Helmut Erbe laid a solid foundation at all levels and ensured the company’s steady growth and development. In 1996 he integrated the fifth generation of the family into the management of the company in the persons of his son Christian and his son-in-law Reiner Thede.